James Bell | HND Interactive Media | Online Learning Journal Year 2

Looking ahead

| Tuesday 29 April 2008

After a reminder of the print lecture from last week I started to create the outer cover for my CD artwork. After spending a number of weeks creating the style guide I was glad to be doing something more creative. I had done some initial sketches based around the idea of a train with light trails coming off it but I felt that this a little bit cliché and suggested that the music was of a much faster pace than it actually is.

Finding the right image did prove something of a challenge as the number of 300dpi images available of free stock image sites such as; sxc, was very limited. I am happy with the progression of my CD artwork and the alternative style of the seminar group this week, consisting of us sticking our work on the work and giving feedback, really helped.

With this being the last few weeks of the last year one assignment at lot of focus is being put on the 2nd year and this was the topic of discussion on Tuesday morning. I am looking forward to the second year and the prospect of working for a real client as I believe this will provide invaluable experience for the future.

The volume of work in the second year will be much bigger than any course I have previously been and this will help me to understand the pressures of a career in the creative industry. This will be beneficial to be and make me more employable when I come to finish the course.

A major part of the second year that I am looking forward to is learning CSS. Although I have already built some websites using CSS I know that I have barely scratched the surface of what is possible.

With next week being a self study week I plan to get the assignment completed to ensure I have time to make any changes necessary on Monday.

My goals for next week are:

  • To have my CD artwork finished
  • To have my style guide amendments completed
  • Initial ideas completed for 'The Wire' advert
  • Completed pre-flight document

3 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

The work load in the second year will also be larger than any I’ve encountered, but it’s something I’m going to have to get used to, since as you mentioned, it’s what it will be like working in the industry.

I’m also looking forward to the CSS unit and I think you should do very well on it, as you know a lot of CSS at the moment and I know you have to ability pick more up very quickly. I don’t know as much CSS as you but it’s something I’m going to have a go with during the summer.

Webomatic said...

Hi James

I am also looking forward to the second year, however I am a little worried about CSS but I think I can get used to the idea. I think the most important thing for me to do would be to find some great tutorials online as well as get the books which are recommended in Steves list and the forum.

I also found it difficult to find a 300DPI image but once I found one it seemed to fit perfectly so the searching paid off.

Thanks, Martyn

Andrew said...

The CSS module next year will really challenge me, it's one thing I'm kind've looking forward to so I can gain these necessary skills but one that I'm kind've not; for the simple fact is I really prefer designing to developing.

Which leads me to ask questions about if we were put in groups next year, how would you prefer your role in the team to be?

You've got a really good concept your working with at the moment and I like the colour scheme you've chosen, the bit where you've put the text as the title in the sign is a genious idea too! But well executed aswell, keep developing the whole thing can't wait to see the final product.