James Bell | HND Interactive Media | Online Learning Journal Year 2

Slow Progress

| Tuesday 22 April 2008

Progress this week has been slower than I would have liked. My target was to have this finish by the end of last week but it has taken longer than I anticipated. However the style guide is just about completed now and that means that I can finally start working on my CD artwork during self study.

Creating the style guide has been something I have really enjoyed. Designing the business cards, letterheads, envelope etc... has helped to allow me to get into a more professional mind set and approach the work from a more commercial viewpoint.

After the presentation on how to set work up properly for the commercial print process I feel ready to begin designing the CD artwork but I don't won't to have to listen to the CD again!

I have already got some ideas of what the artwork should look like but I plan to try a number of different designs before settling on the final one. Designing the artwork is the task I have been most looking forward to since I first read the assignment so I can't wait to start.

As well as working A7 this week I needed to do A6 presentation again as my previous attempt was only around 3 minutes. My second attempt didn't much better either and I was disappointed as I knew that there was sufficient content in the presentation to last to 5 minutes due to my practice runs.

I also received feedback on the A5 assignment and I was pleased with the merit grade I achieved. Looking back on the website now the only major change I would make would be t o change the shade of blue to something that is more suitable to the target audience and not quite as bright.

My targets for next week:

  • Complete style guide
  • Create initial sketches for CD artwork
  • Develop CD artwork using Adobe Photoshop

5 comments:

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi James,

Congratulations on the Merit!

This unit is a great one and everyone seams to be getting their teeth stuck in deep with it.

From what I have seen, your work is coming on leaps and bounds!

I certainly have learned that timing a presentation accurately can be very difficult thing to do; regardless of how many times you practice it and get it right at home.

--
Shaun Bellis

Rebecca Bradley said...

I think that when making the Cd cover its always a good idea to look at the mood boards task that we did as there is always loads of ideas that you can get from them or even making some more will help you to come up with different designs.

Webomatic said...

Hi James

I know what you mean about it taking longer than anticipated, although your situation is different because you have more work to do. I found it very hard to create the rite logo as well as matching a font to it. I think I undershot the time it would take to actually create the logo let alone find the correct font for the finished result.

I can’t really say anything about presentations as I did not do one in front of the whole class. In the same position I would probably do the same and speek a bit faster. Although this was a grate experience for you and will defiantly help you out in the coming year.

Thanks, Martyn

Greg Carrick said...

Like you I don’t feel like I have progressed much this week, even though I finally have a logo design!

I think now you have your style guide completed and are on to the artwork you should feel your work progressing, as this is the part you have been looking forwards to. So you’re more likely to spend a lot of time on the artwork and get it done.

Suzanne Hullah said...

I think that the most frustrating part of choosing assignment two has been how each task seems to overun the schedule that we set for them, this was most evident in my logo designing.

Congratulations on the merit!