James Bell | HND Interactive Media | Online Learning Journal Year 2

Logos, logos, logos

| Tuesday 1 April 2008

With the emphasis this week being on logos I have spent a large amount of the week focusing on my sketchbook and developing initial ideas for my 'Emit' logo. I have enjoyed this and I have already generated a number of ideas which I am going to develop during the week. I will be posting some scans of my initial designs from sketchbook, so feel free to leave and feedback you have.

Initial ideas:


I have found the case studies from the lectures very interesting especially seeing how the logos have developed over the years as the logos have been redesigned to meet with current attitudes and trends.

During the first lecture, this featured an overview of the four basic types of logos (wordmarks, lettermarks, graphic and new generation). I was a big fan of the graphic only logos as I felt that they provided the best impact, where the easiest to recognise and often the most simplistic.

Examples of graphic only logos:


Most of my initial ideas have focused on the words Emit and playing around with the letters to see what logos I could come up with. I plan to start thinking about graphic only logos that will represent the company Emit but I am not sure whether a graphic only logo would be the best option as I am not sure if the company is strong enough to be easily recognised.

This week we also had a visit from Jonny Haynes a previous student on the course who now works at Technophobia. The meeting was really interesting and provided a great insight into the work he does and the work of Technophobia.

My targets for next week are:

  • Develop my initial logo ideas and hopefully have a number of possible logos
  • Start thinking about the typefaces that the company will use and the colour scheme
  • Continue to research logos and annotate them
  • Research style guides and what they contain in preparation for the Emit style

3 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I definitely agree with you about graphic logos and the company not really being strong enough to rely solely on a graphic logo. I think the best kind would either be a wordmark or a combination logo. The company name, I think, needs to be on display.

Rebecca Bradley said...

I also thourght that Jonny Haynes coming in to talk to us about the industry was very interesting. It also gave us a better understanding of what sort of work they produce and how they work in the studio.

Julian Dyer said...

I think some of your logo designs look too 'thin' on paper. It could help to get a fat black marker to design logos with, or a set of fat markers of different colours as this forces you to think of the weight of the strokes.

The fatter you make your logo, the better it will look when applied a background - especially if that background uses continuous tone.