James Bell | HND Interactive Media | Online Learning Journal Year 2

Listening Week

| Tuesday 11 March 2008

Monday morning's tasks finally gave me a chance to the listen to the CD, Lucid Dreams. After listening to the CD I soon found out it was defiantly not the type of music I would normally listen to.

The album focuses around the act of Lucid dreaming and features voice overs and exerts from case studies from the institute of psychophysical research in Oxford.

Although I wasn't really a fan of the music it did provide me a lot thoughts and feelings which I was able to use when creating my minds and mood boards.


I have never used the idea of creating mood boards before but I have found it really interesting and I feel that they will be very useful for the remainder of the project. I will be able look back at them and remember my first impression of the music and the thoughts and feelings which it provoked.

Logos
Looking at logos this week as shown me that it is often the very simple logos that we most recognise and are the easiest to remember; a few examples of this are below.




All of these logos use the company name as the main focus of the logo and only use simple shapes and colours to make them stand out from the crowd. Some are even made purely using type, such as; coca-cola, ebay, google.


This follows through to the logos used for record label and more specifically ambient and electronic music record labels.

During the Easter break I am going to:

  • collect more examples of logos and annotate them
  • read the A7 assignment and build up a list of questions about it
  • continue to develop my mind maps and mood boards

3 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

Like you I’ve never created a mood board before and when I first read the email and found out we had to create one I wasn’t sure how it would help. But now I can see how it has captured all my initial thoughts and feelings about the music and how it will help later on.

Rebecca Bradley said...

I also agree that making mood boards is useful. Its something that you dont think of doing and is more useful becuase instead of having just writen work you can also see it in a more creative way by using images.

Michelle Bonfield said...

I think you make a good point about the mood board documenting your first thoughts and feelings about the music. It will be interesting to create another one further into the project, and analyse how your reactions have varied over time.