James Bell | HND Interactive Media | Online Learning Journal Year 2

Out the black and in the Red

| Tuesday 30 October 2007

My task for reading week is to create presentation on the colour RED. I have found the idea of a reading week very unusual and at times a little strange. Both Monday and Tuesday morning I woken and felt like I am going to college even though I know I am not.

I do however think that reading weeks are good idea because like I said I already feel that I am back into the routine that we have at college and this will help me when starting the new assignment.

During this week I have been looking at the technical area of the colour and the psychological and cultural affect of the colour on people. I was really surprised at the different viewpoints by different cultures to a colour and how this effect people's everyday life.

The first of the reading week started a little slow as I distracted and this therefore kept disrupting my research. After taking a break, and with the help of a set of headphones and an mp3 player, I was able to concentrate and get on my research.

After a long time of researching the task for the most part of the day I then started to think about the presentation and started to design the presentation in PageMaker.

I have also started thinking about the handout that I need to create and more importantly when I am going to hand it out. The more I thought about this the more pro and cons I kept thinking of for each time in the presentation and this is something I will have to resolve by Monday.

With regards to the actually presenting the presentation I am feeling very nervous as I have had very little practice giving presentations before. I think the main problem that I had when giving presentations is that, especially at my previous college, the date of the presentation would always be changed and this always made me more nervous and I always felt unprepared.

My targets for next week are:

  • Finish visual aids for my presentation (presentation and hand-out)
  • Print off both the new assignments ready for Monday
  • Print off two production schedules and a time sheet for Monday
  • Post at least four comments on the blogs before Thursday or Sunday (Steve please clarify)
  • Buy domain and email it John
  • Get hosting set-up and working with John help (Cheers John)
  • Practice, Practice, Practice the presentation to help me be calm on Monday

10 comments:

Michelle Bonfield said...

Just a quick comment on the timing of the handout. I guess it all depends on what exactly you have on the hand out and whether it's crucial for the viewer to have, in order to follow the presentation.

If it's just a repetition of what you're saying then I'd give it out at the end. That way it doesn't cause a distraction and they can keep it for reference after you've finished.

If it adds to what you're saying then hand it out before and ask the audience to refer to the right section during the talk.

Hope that helps and make sure you practice lots (to at least one person) to build up your confidence.

Good Luck!

Suzanne Hullah said...

I'm the same as you in regard to reading week, I also feel as though I've slept in and should be up for college rather than being at home. It just feels strange, but a nice strange!

Thomas Wealthy said...

As we both went to Leeds technology college we know how the reading week works or didn’t in our case. I think as you said having a REAL reading week helps you get back into the swing of college work. Let’s hope our presentations don’t go like my last one at Leeds tech!

Tom Smith said...

I bet the dates of presentations changing at your previous college was really unnerving. It can be scary enough to know when it's definitely going to happen, but to have it changing all the time can make it worse.

I guess it was probably down to disorganisation- either by your tutor or other members of the class? I'm beginning to see organisation in a complete different way since starting this course, and it's changed me... I already seem to be better at things like time planning, etc.

Victoria Fisher said...

I agree with what you have said about reading week it as helped us get back into routine, it as got me back into thinking about my college work again this week.

Different people find different ways to concentrate, it’s good you have found a way for you to concentrating. I thought it would be hard to get work done at home because I knew there was no ones there to tell me to do it or to help, but once I had started researching I found it interesting I didn’t get distracted.

Anonymous said...

Date stamp and time zone test.

Rebecca Bradley said...

I have got the same colour as you. And its great to see that you have also found lots information to put in to your presenation.

Hope the presentation goes well for you on Monday.

Webomatic said...

Hi All

Yes it has got us back on track, I’m just happy that everyone has done as Steve asked and got on with it, also I hope you have all bought web domain names and hosts. If you have colour red may I suggest you looking at the American flag. This is because it has loads of hidden meanings and such.

John Browne said...

On monday of reading week I actually woke up before my alarm was due to set offand i still felt like id slept in. I guess that our minds sometimes addapt to the times we get used to waking up.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi James

You appear to be in control of your learning and have a good clear direction for this assignment.

Based upon this journal entry, I am looking forward to your presentation.

--
Shaun Bellis
My Journal