James Bell | HND Interactive Media | Online Learning Journal Year 2

A visit from The Design Mechanics

| Thursday 27 September 2007

A big eye opener for me this week was the presentation from Dave, Jemma and Oliver from The Design Mechanics and also the work that was presented by the second years.

After a little bit of a late start Dave Pannell soon got into his stride and started talking to us about the work that is done at The Design Mechanics and how they are completely unique from any other design agency in the UK.

The information that was given in the presentation I found very useful especially about the time scale of projects. When Dave said that they would usually only spend between about an hour creating a logo for a company I was really shocked and I think that it is information like this that is difficult to absorb when Steve or John is telling me.

I also found it very useful to see the link between studying on the course and working for a professional design agency through Jemma and Oliver. It was good to hear them talking about there experiences and they have adapted to going from the course to working professionally.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can find Jemma's old website at www.jemmabe.co.uk. She tells me she's currently developing a new one - watch that space.

James Bell said...

Cheers steve

Liam Corfield said...

I cant believe they only spend an hour making a logo, Ive done it before and it took me a good couple of days with all the designs I made.