James Bell | HND Interactive Media | Online Learning Journal Year 2

Formative Statement

| Tuesday 11 September 2007

During my third year at high school I achieved a grade C in GSCE IT and this was the first time I had regular access to a PC. During my GSCE I spend most of my time using Microsoft Office and Microsoft Excel and this helped me gain a good knowledge of these applications which has helped me during my further studies.

As I had achieved my GSCE, in IT, during year 9 I decided that I should study Media Studies instead of ICT during years 10 and 11 as this would help discover more about design. I also felt that it would allow me develop skills that would help me in the future such as; how to annotate and analyse media on a basic level.

After leaving high school I attended Leeds College of Technology and there I enrolled on the BTEC National Diploma in IT Practitioner: Software Development course as I felt this would give me a good overview of software development and improve my general computing skills.

On this course I completed a variety of different modules from computer systems to website management and these gave me a good overall basis of the IT sector. During the course I discovered that I enjoyed planning, designing and creating website and I was very interested in taking this passion further when I finished the course. To help do this I applied for the HND Interactive Media at Wakefield College.

During my time on the HND Interactive Media course at Wakefield College I hope to be able to greatly develop my skills in all aspects of my designs. I also hope gain a better understanding and gain more experience using various pieces of software such as; Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc… I also hope to gain more work related experience so that I can gain a wider understanding of the industry and how to work with clients. During my time on the course I hope to build up a portfolio of work so that I can show prospective employers the quality and variety of my work.

Whilst on the course I will be aiming to meet a number of targets to ensure that I get the most out of the course and help me develop my skills. The main target that I will set myself is to at least pass all the assignments first time. Another target I will set myself is that I would like to improve my skills with the software that I will be using inside and outside of college hours as I feel the more comfortable I get with software the better my overall design process will be and the more confident I will be when creating my design.

After finishing the course I hope to do some freelance to help bolster my portfolio and this will also help display the variety of my work. After building up my portfolio I hope that in the future I hope to work as a designer for a design studio producing a high standard of work. I would primarily want to be a website designer but I would also like to be involved graphic design.

0 comments: