James Bell | HND Interactive Media | Online Learning Journal Year 2

Usability testing

| Tuesday 19 February 2008

Usability testing was number one on the agenda for Monday. Gaining feedback is vital for the development of any website so I was keen to see the results and make the required amendments.

The feedback process was very quick, with only around 5 minutes to look at each website. This didn't allow more extensive tasks such as testing all the links and checking all the spellings and grammar etc...

However it did mean that the answers were based on people first impressions of the website and this is very useful as it often based on first impressions that a user will decide to use the website or not.

I will be posting an online feedback form as soon as the new version of the website is ready so I would really appreciate any feedback you have.

Following a short lecture on newspaper devices (such as; drop caps, teasers etc...) was a timed task. This time the task was to create an advertisement for a job at vodafone as an "Online Digital Designer". I enjoyed this task and feel happy with the final result.




A6
With the A6 presentation just a few weeks away it was time for some practice and this came in seminar groups. I feel that my presentation went ok but I would not have been happy if that was my final version.

I have a number of changes to make to my presentation but the main thing I need to do is practice as sadly I didn’t have the time to do much of this over the half term.

My targets for next week are:

  • Make amendment to the website and upload the new version
  • Gather as much feedback as possible for the website
  • Make changes to my presentation and the handout
  • Practice my presentation

5 comments:

Tom Smith said...

You've made a valid point about the testing being very much based on first impressions. This, as you said, is important. First impressions can lead a person to leave the site very quickly, as Jakob Neilson has written many times!

I think the way you've divided the information up on your Vodafone ad is really well thought out. It conforms to the proximity part of the P.A.R.C. principles well, and gives the reader a way to distinguish each of the areas easily.

Gary Benn said...

Well done on your presentation. I think it went well. All I would say is not to race through all the slides. Some of the things that were on some of your slides was not mentioned. This could be down to nerves.

I also noticed you went slightly red. Perhaps you should take a bottle of water into the real thing. This will help you keep cool and should lower the redness and panic.

I think over the next week we should at some point go into the little room next door to re-try our presentations. I think this would really help us all, Let me know what you think!

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi James

When it comes to usability testing perhaps it would be best to do a short 'first impressions' test as you have already done with many (10 - 15) people but then further that with a more extensive test on fewer people.

Tom has raised a great point about the P.A.R.C. principle, perhaps the dividing lines could have a little more subtly to them, i.e. a very light grey rather than the solid black line; something to think about and experiment with in the future.

--
Thanks

Shaun Bellis

John Browne said...

Hey James, I agree on the 5 minute usability limit been too limited. But just for the record, I was pretty impressed with your design.

The timed task was by far the best so far and I feel very satisfied with my result also. Having more and more of these, helps us to manage our time, and understand the working environment of the industry, which I very much like....

Suzanne Hullah said...

The newspaper devices lecture will be handy over the next two weeks. If you have read the seconds year blogs from this time last year, then you will see that a newspaper timed task could be on the cards.

Because of this, I'm taking some time over the weekend to read through my device notes in preparation for any task that may come our way on Tuesday.