James Bell | HND Interactive Media | Online Learning Journal Year 2

The deadline is only one week away...

| Tuesday 26 February 2008

I spent Monday morning making some final adjustment to the website based on the results of the feedback session last week. Once I had made the changes I received some from John on how I could improve my website and I hope have them done this week.

I have only got a few design changes to make and the evaluation, for A5, to write so this means that I will have be able to spend more time research and revising the type and newspaper terminology ready for next weeks timed task.

With only a week until the presentation I have been doing final changes and checks of the design and the content. I have a few changes still to make to the presentation and the handout I plan to have these finished tomorrow to give me maximum to amount of time to practice.

Another Tuesday and another timed tasks. This time the task was to create and A5 article about Jonathan Gee. The timed tasks are something I am really enjoying and something I will miss when the A6 assignment has finished.



I am happy with my final version of the article but I don't think that I managed my time quite as well this time as I handed it in only ten minutes before the end. This didn't leave me with much time to make many alterations and improvements unlike last time.

Overall I am feeling confident that I will be ready for the hand-in on Tuesday and I am looking forward to the final timed task.

My targets for next week are:

  • Finish the website
  • Ensure I have made no 'silly mistakes' on my website such as: missing alt tags etc...
  • Check I have met all my project goals from the A3 assignment
  • Write A5 evaluation and begin A6 evaluative journal entry
  • Finish presentation handout and check spellings etc...
  • Practice presentation
  • Research and revise typography and newspaper terms

3 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I really like the way you've organised your article on Jonathan Gee, particularly the inclusion of the pull quote in the middle of the two columns.

The one thing I would ask is why there is so much white space around the edges? The margins seems really wide- which doesn't look bad, as it gives a lot of 'breathing space' for the article, but it does seem strange. Any reason?

Mark Torrington said...

I agree with Tom the pull quote looks is a cleaver way to attract attention. The white space works really well, however your eye needs to be attracted to text below the photograph. There are different solution that could improve this:

#1 Put ‘In’ into capitals ‘IN’
#2 Highlight ‘In February to - track it down’ and alter this to bold
#3 Use a drop cap on the letter ‘I’

I would pick option #3. Other than that you have done a fabulous job, great work!

Michelle Bonfield said...

I really like what you have done with the Jonathan Gee article. It has a simplistic contemporary feel to it.

However, I'm not overly convinced about the positioning of the pull quote. I think the style and size is perfect and maintains the consistency of the design, but the body text wrapping around it reads a little uncomfortably for me.It is definitely an aesthetically bold statement but is it functional?