James Bell | HND Interactive Media | Online Learning Journal Year 2

Restoration Week Two.....

| Tuesday 27 November 2007

The image restoration task has occupied most of time this week and what started as fun and interesting task and now become a little frustrating. I am still interested in the task and I feel that the Photoshop experience is essential and something that help me a great deal.

After receiving feedback on the task I now know what I need to do to and hopefully I will have it finished during my self study time.

This week I have to pay a large amount of focus on the A3 assignment as I have been neglecting it unintentionally due to the more creative A4 task. This week I need to create my screen designs for the web plan and I will be posting them on my blog soon so any feedback would be appreciated.

Steve provided us with the task this week of designing and creating a business card in a very short space of time. The first time I did this on Monday I had a few mistakes which could have
been easily prevented as they were simple things such as typos.

The PARC (Proximity, Alignment, Repetition and Contrast) lecture that followed was very useful and it will be something that I will be investigating further into as I feel that they will be essential in my future designs.

On Tuesday we all had another go at the business card task and this time I took more time and a lot more detail in the information from the brief. This meant that I didn't make any typos and I felt that I made a much better job of the design.

I found it very interesting to see how much work could be done in 30 minutes and this is something I hope to be able to take through to my self study time and I hope this allow me work more efficiently.

My targets for next week are:

  • To complete content for the A3 assignment
  • Complete image restoration task
  • Gather copyright permissions for the images I will use in the A3 assignment
  • Add this information to assets list
  • Complete budget statement
  • Develop screen designs and start create them in PageMaker

10 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I think you're right about taking the things we did on Monday and Tuesday to our self study time. The whole design a minute thing would be particularly useful for the initial stages of screen design.

I'm in a kind of similar position with A3. I had purposefully given equal attention to the two assignments, but now find I've got a hell of a lot to do on A3 all of a sudden. I think this is, in most part, due to the content and how much unexpected time it ended up taking.

John Browne said...

Intentionaly I went another way around with my time planning. Instead of focusing on both A3 and A4 over last weeks selfstudy period, I decided to instead work completely on the image restoration task in order to complete it, and possibly give me the whole of this weeks self study to work on A3. In our seminar groups Steve mentioned the birghtness of the image that id restored, but in the last few hours of Tuesday I beleive I managed to complete the image to a reasonable standard (I even included cigarette smoke).

Why didn't i think of that..... Thanks for a very suefull journal entry James. After mentioning using Monday and Tuesday mornings task and incorporating it in to our screen design by creating a thumbnail a minute. I beleive I may use this method in hope that it provides a more useful ammount of time completing the the rest of the design this week.

Victoria Fisher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Victoria Fisher said...

Your restored image looks really good, I think the colours you have chosen for like the suites fits in with what year the photo was taken.

I also found the PARC lecture useful and when we were doing the task on Tuesday making the business cards again, I was considering Proximity, Alignment, Repetition and contrast while making them.

Greg Carrick said...

I have to agree the design a minute thing would be very useful on the ideas generation of the screen designs.

Your image restoration does look really good and you have defiantly taken sometime to chose the colours for the skin and suits. Keep up the good work.

Rebecca Bradley said...

I think that your image restoration is really good I think that you have thourght about your colours really well as theres so many colours to choose from and your photo fits in with the year the photo was taken really good.

Michelle Bonfield said...

I think you've done a good job on the image restorationa and achieveing a natural look with your use of colour.

However, there is still a really faint faded line diagonally across the image. I had the same problem but over came it by adding another layer of the same colour(but at a lower opacity). It's really easy to do and will get rid of the problem.

Hope the rest of your work is going as well!

Liam Corfield said...

I also took most of last week doing the image restoration, ive neglected a3 also. but this week ive got to redo a4. you on the otherhand are doing a good job with the restoration and the colour seems to suit it

Mark Torrington said...

In order to omit the faint line Michelle mention try using the healing tool. It is used in the same way as the clone stamp tool, however uses average colour instead of image.

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.