James Bell | HND Interactive Media | Online Learning Journal Year 2

Restoration Week One.....

| Tuesday 20 November 2007


With two assignments on the go at the same time it makes each of the two days at college at completely different experience. Monday is currently the more paper based analytical work for the web plan and the Tuesday is more creative with the image restoration task.

The image restoration task is something that I think everyone is enjoying and it is finally allowing everyone be more creative and actually use Adobe Photoshop. I also think that this task is helping me to understand the level of detail that is required in design more than any other task I have done.

This was also coupled with the lecture that Steve gave to use about the bitmap and vector image format and the fact there is over 5,000 pixels in a 72dpi(Dots per Inch) 1inch by 1inch square image. This has really helped me during the image restoration task as I have to zoom in really to close to match the colours of the pixels to restore the image.

I have some basic experience with Photoshop but I have never tried anything like image restoration before. This has really helped understanding colours more, especially when it comes down to creating the skin colour for the people in the image.

Typography was also one of the lectures this week and before this I never knew how much there was to learn about the typefaces we use everyday. After this lecture I am looking forward to the assignment on typography after the christmas break as this will enable me to research all the different aspects of typography.

During feedback groups Steve motioned the possibility of doing one of the assignments over the summer holidays as this would relieve some of the pressure for the 2nd year as we would have already completed one of the assignments.

I felt this was a good idea as good idea as it would allow time to finish any referral work from the 2nd year assignments and also we would have one less assignments to do in the 2nd year. It would be very interesting to hear everyone opinion about this, especially the 2nd years as I believe you did this last year.

My targets for next week is:
  • Amend target audience profile, delivery requirements, technologies and competitive analysis for A3 assignment
  • Complete first attempt at the image restoration task ready for feedback
  • Collect images for the computer terms in the A3 assignment
  • Start writing content website plan

6 comments:

Victoria Fisher said...

I also thought the typography lectures was good and I learnt a lot about fonts. I am looking forward to the typography assignment so I can learnt more about it.

I think it sounds like a good idea doing an assignment during the summer holidays, I usually end up been bored in the summer holidays, so have an assignment would give me something to do and take off a bit of pressure for the second year.

Tom Smith said...

I'm not sure about the idea of doing an assignment over the summer.

On the one hand, it'll be helpful in that it'll get the work out of the way, making it easier in the 2nd year. However, it'll detract from what is supposed to be a break from college.

I suppose, though, it is a very long break from college, and therefore the assignment wouldn't take up the whole of the holiday.

I'll have to think about it some more...

Greg Carrick said...

It does sound like a good idea to do an assignment over the holidays, as there would be less work in the second year. But I don’t know how well I would do the assignment because I’d probably end up putting it off and think that there’s loads of time to do it. Then end up rushing it at the last minute.

Rebecca Bradley said...

I think the presentation on how to do image restoring and using the software as been really good this week, as you say you have some knowledge with this, so I think this will come in very usefull when you are restoring your picture.

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.

John Browne said...

Having an assignment set over the holidays seems like a realy great idea. The main concern with this how ever, is how much work will actually be done out of college, reffered to the ammount that we get done in college. And with out lecture notes from Steve, It may be more difficult then we 1st thought.....