James Bell | HND Interactive Media | Online Learning Journal Year 2

Design Mechanics studio visit

| Tuesday 29 January 2008

Tuesday morning began with a visit to the Design Mechanics. After attending the last meeting with Dave Pannell I had a basic understanding of how the company worked and I was really interested to how see it in practice. I also wanted to hear the views of the designers who work there and see what they thought of the way the company worked.

The overall impression that gained was that they felt it was a great way to gain experience straight after leaving a university or college course and which makes for a great stepping stone for the future.

The volume of work creating in such a short time means that it is a great place to help build a portfolio that displays successful corporate design in both print and web design. The process of not meeting the client seemed to be a good idea for most of the work but I think this depends on the client and the quality of the feedback that they are willing to give using the feedback forms.

A5 has gone well this week and I have managed to finish the first version of the website. I have really enjoyed the task of authoring the website especially this week as we were allowed to spend the entire day working on our websites. This allowed me focus and get into a working mindset which enabled me to work faster and more efficiently.

Now that the first version is done I am focusing on the usability testing and the design of the feedback form that I will be handing out on the day. This is something I have never done with previous websites that I have built I think that I will gain a lot from it, which I can take into consideration in my future work.

After the visit to the Design Mechanics, Steve gave us a lecture on type explaining some professional names given to the different part of the characters that make up a typeface e.g. baseline, arm, stroke, counter etc...

I am going to take this information and try and break down some of the more famous typefaces designed by Erik Spiekermann using the information from the lecture and include this in my presentation.

7 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

Hi James,

I like your website and it all seems to be working fine, but just take a look at the feedback form, as the 51 on the age part has just slipped onto the next line.

The lecture on typography was great and is defiantly something I’m going to apply to my presentation like you. I just hope I can memorize all the names.

Tom Smith said...

Well done on getting the site up and running so fast, it's looking good.

Only thing I would say is that I'm not sure about the blue that you use. To me, it's just a bit 'in your face'.

One other thing, on Firefox on my Mac, the nav bar goes out of alignment halfway down the page. Doesn't do it on Safari though. Not sure what it's like on Windows. If you need a screenshot, just email me!

Victoria Fisher said...

It’s good you have got the first version of your web site done so quickly and is looks good. It leaves plenty of time to correct any errors you have and do your testing.

I also thought the typography presentation on Tuesday was really interesting, before the presentation I didn’t know what most of the parts of the letters were called and before I would just describe what the letter looked like now I can use their correct names.

Rebecca Bradley said...

I also thourght that the presentation on typography was really usefull as I didnt have much to talk about why he actually designed the fonts. So know we have more knowledge on type so we will be able to use this in are presentations.

Webomatic said...

Hi James

The lecture on typography was good, i feel like i learned so much from it, now to put it into practise!

about your website, i think it is very good, although i think a redirect may be needed after sending a feedback to you, as you have to press the back button which may take more time, people like speed.

Good job over all clear and easy to use/read, love the colours, as i thorght i would when i saw your screen design.

Thanks, Martyn

Gary Benn said...

Hi James.

The website is looking good so far!

I have been viewing it with firefox on a PC. There are two things which are slightly annoying me at the moment.

The margins around the main table seem "odd". I think it will give it a better sense of allignment if you set the page margins to 0px.

Also the cell border line between the header image and the navigation bar is slightly off putting. (the top small one above the navigation cell). I think if you get rid of this one line the line will continue to go across the header and down the right and side of the navigation. This could make the layout somewhat more streamlined.

Mark Torrington said...

The appearance of your website looks really striking, however I really think you should re-consider the typeface and spacing you have used in the header. At first I read the title as (peterms.co.uk). If you feel it is not necessary to alter the typeface that’s fine, although the letter “c” looks very similar to the letter “e”. If you put a space after pc it would read better. (pc terms.co.uk).

Thank you ever so much for the link to use dynamic CSS and Javascript, I’ll give it a try!