James Bell | HND Interactive Media | Online Learning Journal Year 2

First week back at college

| Tuesday 15 January 2008

A new semester and two new assignments.

This will be the first time, on this course, that I will be authoring a web site and it is something I am really looking forward to. In the past I have spent a large amount of time in Dreamweaver or notepad creating the website and at times changing the whole design.

With this assignment, and the web plan from the previous assignment, I hope that I will be able to be a lot more precise with both my measurements and my code as I will have a lot more time to test and modify the website.

At times on the course it has been motioned that in the first few months that there is a lack of practical tasks such as; web design, but now I am starting to realise the important of things like web plans and how they are a skill that needs to learnt and improved upon.

The A6 assignment is very different and again I feel that this is very useful much like it was with A3 and A4. I feel that A6 will allow me to dramatically improve my DTP (Desktop Publishing) skills, e.g. InDesign. I also think that the fact that the presentation is an assessable part of the assignment the feedback will be a lot more detailed and allow me to greatly improve my presentation skills.

For A6 I have been given the famous German typographer 'Erik Spiekermann' to talk about and I have spent most of the day researching him and his work. I have found this very interesting but I know that I have to continue my research and gain a much larger knowledge of his work before I am any where near thinking about starting to create my presentation.

Gaining Merits in both A3 and A4 I know hope that I can continue this with future assignments and hopefully progress to gain a distinction in one of the future assignments.

7 comments:

Michelle Bonfield said...

I think there is a real art to researching effectively. As it is often difficult to judge if you have gathered sufficient information to complete the task required.Equally there is also the problem of knowing when to stop!

I plan to summarise my key findings after each research session and then group these findings into categories. Hopefully this will help clarify how to structure the presentation. It will also avoid undertaking unnecessary research.

Suzanne Hullah said...

Firstly, can I just say well done on the double merit grades you received.

A6 will be a great opportunity for us to become experienced in a DTP (Desktop Publishing) program. For my previous assignment, I made the switch from Pagemaker to InDesign and found many differences between the two. Whilst conducting the research into InDesign and have a 'mess about' I've found that I have now become very familiar with the toolbars and feel prepared for any timed assignments that may come our way.

Victoria Fisher said...

Well done on your grades.
Testing is a really important part of building a web site, because if it doesn’t work in a web browser properly people can view it how it’s meant to be viewed.

Last time I had a go at making a web site it took me agers to get the web site to look like it was meant to in the web browser, but hopeful I should learn ways to cut down the amount of time it took me to get the web site to work in the web browser.

John Browne said...

Congratulations n the merits James and good luck to gettin that distinction.

Dreamweaver in my experience is a very effective tool in the build of a website. Unfortunatly I cannot start the build with out the completion of A3 which I plan to have completed before college on Monday.

Rebecca Bradley said...

Well done on passing your assignments.

I have the same typographer as you. I am the same there is loads of information about him. But its just making sure that you know even more about him, so that when you come to your presentation it will make it a lot easyer.

Gary Benn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gary Benn said...

Hi James

Well done in getting your Double merit grades!

I am having problems finding information about my typographer. all I can really find is comments about his fonts. I hope over the week I will find some interesting information such as some designs he has worked with along with layouts.

Are you going to hand code your web site or use the WYSIWYG editor?

Welcome to the new "A TEAM" seminar group by the way! I think it will be helpful for us all to practice our presentations in the seminar sessions (closer to the time) Do you have any comments on this approach. This will be especially useful if we could gain feedback from each other and also Steve.

As to when we could do this we will have to discuss it with Steve and the other group members to come up with a final date.